I have purchased in bulk for several years. One reason being-it was often cheaper to do so. Another reason was that it made sense to purchase large quantities for our family of seven. Now, I love the convenience of having certain items always on hand. These are some of my favorites…
- OLIVE OIL..I started out purchasing one bottle at a time from Aldi. But those days are over. I now purchase the gallon jug at Sam’s Club.
- RICE…I used to keep only brown rice in the house, but I broke down last week (after borrowing some twice from my friend) and purchased a 20 pound bag of basmati rice. If you’re gonna eat white rice, at least eat basmati. It is lower on the glycemic index than other white rices. I felt I could justify an occasional meal with white rice since we eat so many other whole grains. Anyway, I now have two types of rice in the house.
- BEANS…the bean that I keep in stock is the pinto bean. It cooks up nicely, and is very versatile. Sunday supper is rice and beans. I chop up whatever veggies are in the frig (tomato, green pepper, zucchini, green onion, white onion), put out the cheese and sour cream or Greek yogurt and everybody dives in and makes up a yummy bowl of rice and beans!
- GREEK YOGURT…this is a relatively recent addition to our kitchen, but it has definitely become a staple. My husband loves it with fruit and granola for breakfast, we have started using it in place of sour cream, I just used it yesterday to make a creamy caesar salad dressing, and I also use it in baking. I love it when some thing I love is also good for me!
- PARMESAN CHEESE…and I’m referring to shredded Parmesan cheese, not the cheese that Kraft makes. I make a lot of Italian-type dishes and so I am frequently pulling the Parmesan cheese out of the frig. Just like my olive oil, I used to buy small containers at Aldi, but now I purchase a large container at Sam’s. They add just the right tanginess and texture to so many meals. (right now, I could SO eat a whole bowl of pasta with a drizzle of olive oil and a (big) sprinkle of Parmesan cheese!!)
We do keep other bulk items on hand (wheat berries, popcorn, butter, rolled oats, coconut milk, spices) but these are a few of my faves. Now, I’m off to make supper for tonight…lentil soup with crusty bread!